PLEASE BRING BIRTH CERTIFICATES & REPORT CARDS WITH YOU TO
TEAM CHECK IN
Dates: Friday, Saturday & Sunday, July 21-23, 2017 (Plan to play on Friday as games do occur on Friday)
Locations: Liberty University, Liberty Christian Academy, & more locations in Lynchburg TBA
Registration Deadline: July 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Teams will be issued coaches passes, for the 2 coaches and the scorekeeper to get into the gyms - players will need to show or wear uniforms to get into gyms.
Divisions: Grades 2-12, 19-24 (adult), & 25 - Over (adult)
$250 per team
If received by 11:59PM of June 15
$275 per team
If received between June 16 and 11:59 PM of July 11
There is an option to pay $25 to be guaranteed to not play on Friday.
Additional $20 fee for mail-in, faxed, or dropped off registrations.
Groups bringing three or more teams will be eligible to receive 10% off registration fees. You must mail-in your entry forms or contact our office for a coupon code in order to receive the 10% off.
Team Entry Form & Waiver Form (PDF version)
***The home teams for each game will be required to provide a person to keep the book at the scorekeepers table.
Rules and Special Rules
Rosters: Team rosters are limited to 15 players, 2 coaches and 1 score keeper
Schedules: Schedules will be posted online as well as emailed to team representatives after July 16, 2017. Some divisions will be required to play on Friday afternoon, July 21.
Conduct of Players: Unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of players, coaches or spectators will not be tolerated and may result in expulsion from the Subway Commonwealth Games. Coaches will be held responsible for their players & spectators.
Team Check-In: Teams will not be allowed to play until they check in. Check will be Friday, July 21 from 8am - 6pm at the Lahaye Student Center - Lahaye Event Space. Teams will forfeit their first game for failure to check-in. PLEASE BRING BIRTH CERTIFICATES & REPORT CARDS WITH YOU TO TEAM CHECK IN. NO EXCEPTIONS AND NO REFUNDS.
Important Notice: The Virginia Commonwealth Games at Liberty University Basketball Competition will be limited to the first 100 teams that enter and pay their registration fee or until a division is full.
Grades: Division category is determined by the age of the oldest team player. Age of men 18 & over and women 19 & over will be determined by the age you are on July 21, 2017. For adults, the age of the youngest player will determine the division. Coaches should be prepared to show proof of players age upon demand. Coaches will be required to furnish player proof of age/eligibility upon request from tournament director at anytime during competition.
Eligibility: Coaches are responsible to see that their team meets all eligibility requirements. If a player is found to be ineligible prior to the start of a sanctioned competition, the player will be expelled from the competition and the team will continue. If a player is found to be ineligible after the competition has started, the player will be expelled from the competition and the team will forfeit all games which the ineligible player was listed on the official score sheet. The team may continue to participate, if applicable, without the expelled player.
Proof of Age: Must be available for review, by a Commonwealth Games representative at any time during the competition. If said information is not available the team is subject to removal from the competition. Acceptable documents include the following:
1. a photocopy of that portion of the athletes' report card for the current school year which shoes name, grade and school.
2. Confirmation of grade level from a school administrator (guidance counselor, principal, dean, etc.) on school letterhead.
3. a photocopy of certificate of live birth from the State, County or Municipal Bureau of Vital Statistics on the place of birth (Hospital Records NOT Accepted).
4. A photocopy of the delayed registration of birth if the athlete's birth was not recorded on his day of birth, issued by the same governing bodies.
5. An unexpired Passport
6. Valid Drivers License or State issued I.D.
Format of Play: 3 Game Guarantee. Note - No team will receive medals if they do not participate in medal games.
Rules of Play: Virginia High School League and Virginia Commonwealth Games rules for boys and girls basketball will be followed with the following playing times and rules modifications:
1. 2nd grade - 5th grade will play 12 minutes halves, 6th, 7th & 8th grades will play 14 minute halves, 9th grade and up- including adults will play 16-minute halves. All ages will have 5-minute halftimes and 3 minute overtime.
2. If the game is tied at the end of regulation, then all overtime periods shall be 3 minutes in length until the game is decided. One additional time out per overtime period.
3. Only those persons whose names appear on the official roster may sit on the bench. This includes 15 team players, 2 coaches & 1 scorekeeper.
4. Matching jerseys with numbers are required. Duplicate numbers are not allowed.
5. Once a team has a lead of 30 points or more in the second half, the clock will continue to run. Once the lead drops to 20 points or less, the clock will stop.
6. A player may participate in only one grade division, per weekend.
Game Balls - The undersized basketball (circumference shall be 28.5) shall be used for All 2nd Grade- 6th grade competition. Teams must provide their own practice ball. Home team will provide the game ball.
For more information: Contact Virginia Amateur Sports at 540-343-0987 or 1-800-333-8274 (Virginia only)
Want to volunteer for the 2016 Games?
Fill out the Volunteer Application online: